Sunday, August 14, 2005

blogger block

Listening to: Elliot Smith from a basement on the hill

Haven't blogged for a while and all my most recent blogs have been about films. Seeing shitloads of films all in one go does something weird to my brain. I still haven't quite recovered. It's like my brain got all filled up with images and ideas from the films and my grey matter is still sorting and deciphering on the fly and there isn't any room for anything else yet. I get mental images from the films every now and then jumping into other thoughts. Sometimes when I try to think about some of the films they get jumbled up with other ones. I'm thinking that something about the way my brain works now is not as sharp as it used to be. I used to have a real sharp brain (I like to think) but at times I go to pluck for a word from my brain and I get a blank. Like, I don't even smoke weed so I can't used that as an excuse, so I guess I have to put it down to being over 40 now. It all sucks. And then there's the effect of ageing on my body which I don't want to think about at all. I noticed the other day that I have the beginnings of an "old lady neck" where gravity is starting to do it's nasty nasty work and there's no holding it back. Fuck I hate it. I don't feel at all like a 41-year-old but I'm sure starting to look it. The old metabolism is slowing down and I'm even sending myself off to Weightwatchers next week. Yuck yuck yuck! It makes me feel shabby and it's such a boring thing to be doing. I have way better things to do with my time.

Anyway, cheered myself up with some music purchases. First a big bunch of stuff at Real Groovy along with some new CD shelves to replace the big messy piles of CDs that my office usually full of. Which made me realise how few CDs I actually have - they looked a lot more impressive in their wonky piles, but a bit hard to sift through. So of course I had to buy more so I went off to the Big Smoke sale at Smoke CDs. Was served my lovely friend Jules which was very nice. My favourite buy was Venetian Snares.

I'm really procrastinating right now cos I'm meant to be doing stinky old work. I have a couple of deadlines at the moment. Also, I can't invoice these jobs till they are done and I need the money rolling in. SOD and I are off to the South Island for a short road trip. Taking the little Red Rover rather than flying. Will be down in Christchurch for the opening of Mr Couper's show so hanging with Matt and Jo that night will be sweet. BUT we are going to miss Ben's show at Aratoi in Masterton. Most annoyed, but just didn't check the goddamn dates before organising our trip.

Okay gotta do some stinky work.

11 comments:

paintergirl said...

hey rose-
we have alot in common. Work at home, not as much now though since i have a 3 year year old, but still working somewhat. Life at home can get boring as hell can't it?
Love Elliot Smith. it makes me very depressed to think about his life though. Hope you guys have a nice little road trip. We would love to travel to see your part of the world some day.

s. said...

Did he really stab himself to death? Or is that just one of those urban legend things... how... Yukio Mishima, or something, of him. :-/

Rose said...

Hey paintergirl! Thanks for dropping by - will try to post soome pics of our trip up. Yeah, it's so sad listening to Elliot now - but it always was anyway. My thoughts are that he couldn't live with the drugs, couldn't live without 'em. Like a fucked up relationship. I imagine it was hard to make the music without the drugs cos after all, that's all his songs were about.

Working at home with a 3-year-old - that must be hard going. My youngest is now 15 so they are all pretty independent. I remember those 3-year-olds - very energetic.

Stephen - yeah, I hear that is what happened. Surely there are many easier ways to do the deed. Must have been a. a spot of pyschoses, or b. sudden and nothing handier than the kitchen knife or c. was it murder!!! anyway, very sad. another artist died young. will now be forever remembered. like nick drake, huh?

paintergirl said...

Was Ellit feeling too much pressure from the record company? Wanting and needing the drugs, just always battling. My husband tells me he stabbed himself in the heart. How strangely poetic and horrific at the same time.
I'm not sure he was as crazy as Mishima. Mishama had other issues.

Anonymous said...

There's a good Elliott Smith bio out called Elliott Smith & The Big Nothing.

Rose said...

Hmm, will have to lay my hands on that one. An intriguing life.

Anonymous said...

Homeboy lived in Portland.

--O'Grady

Anonymous said...

coast to coast is a wonderful song.

NewsBlogger said...

Hi, I am Rose, and like to contact you!

By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about home business I have found your site.
Of course, I was looking out for home business related information and I have found your blogger block. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

NewsBlogger said...

Hello, I like to contact you! My name is Rose,
By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about home working I have found your site.
I was looking out for home working related information. Sorry, I have see that your blogger block isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

NewsBlogger said...

Hi there Rose, I AM OUT SEARCHING FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON best home based business and found your site.
Although blogger block wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see row why I found your page when I was looking for best home based business related information, and I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.

Fritz