Sunday, April 05, 2009

Blogging from bed

Reading: After Dark by Haruki Murakami

I've had a silly condition this week. On Thursday morning I had a major dizzy spell. I woke up, swivelled my head to look at the clock, and when I turned back I got the head-spins like you wouldn't believe. I closed my eyes and the room was spinning round. Immediate nausea - I felt like I was on a lurching boat. When I got up I had to hold on to the walls to make my way to the loo. Not pleasant. Anyways, I got a taxi to the doctor that morning and found out I had this thing called Benign Positional Vertigo. Apparently it is going to go away - takes 3 to 14 days to disappear. Bloody nuisance. I did some gardening and shopping yesterday and I think I overdid it a bit. This morning (Sunday) the whole room was whirling again so I have stayed in bed and have been dozing and reading. Decided to spend the time a little more usefully and listened to the podcast of Zoe Drayton, founder of the Audio Foundation being interviewed on National Radio. I found it interesting that she is so dismissive about her own music. I really rate her - she has only put out a small amount of music, but what she has done is so sublime, and really so different to what other people in the scene are doing. Her reason for not promoting herself is that others have been doing it for so much longer and she has only been making music for a short time. To me, that makes no difference. It's the end result that matters. Mind you, she mentioned that she was composing at the age of 10 and it sounds like she had some amazing influences as a child, being exposed to minimalist classical, folk, and jazz. She mentioned that her creative career was interrupted by having children in her 20's, and I can certainly relate to that. I feel I'm finding time now to find my own creative voice now that my child rearing days are over. Would have been nice to have been interspersed by some examples of the music she was describing though. So much time was spent trying to describe the genres and sub-genres - just bloody play some of it!

I've enjoyed reading my book. I haven't been doing enough reading lately. I really need to start getting to bed earlier. It's the only place I read and it's entirely reliant on me getting to bed early enough before I nod off and the book falls out of my hands.

No comments: