Friday, January 12, 2007

M. Ward is a Guitar God

Wahaaay. Just got back from seeing M. Ward. What a fucking treat. The place was packed. The man was amazing. And I managed to spend the entire gig just two from the front (even though my feet were killing me). It was a pleasure just to watch this guy play, let alone listen to his poignant guitar and beautiful voice. His own songs were brilliant, but it was pretty damned cool to hear his version of Daniel Johnston's "Story of an Artist" (off the Discovered Covered tribute album) and David Bowie's "Let's Dance" (who knew it was such a touching love song till they heard M. Ward sing it?). The best bit was his cool trick with his loop pedal. He was playing solo and you'd suddenly realise that he was looping what he had just played and adding new guitar over the top. At one stage he had two loops of his acoustic guitar going and then played some electric riffs over the top of that. All done seamlessly. Wow. He was so impressive.

Okay, guess it's about bedtime, being 1.30 am with work waiting in the morning. Still, I have a nice massage booked for the afternoon. That's something to look forward to.

Now I have to decide if I'm gonna go see The Veils on Saturday night. And coming soon are Calexico and Joanna Newsom (playing with Smog). Too much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. Funny that I have to read about an hometown artist (unfamiliar to me) on a New Zealander's blog.

Good reporting.

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

Rose said...

You gotta get out more O'G. Obviously.